Saturday, July 22, 2006

Summer In the City

Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

~ The Lovin' Spoonful
Set an all time record here in El Cajon, California. The temperature today was 113 degrees (45C), beating the old record for this date by 12 degrees. The average high temperature for July here is 83 degrees. Other local record temperatures - San Diego City 99 degrees, Alpine 109 degrees, Palm Springs 121 degrees. This was not a Santa Ana heat. This was your straight forward, humid, Hell couldn't be this bad heat.

Things were eerily quiet. There were no birds, not even many insects. No children played in the streets and there were few cars on the road. For the first time in my life I experienced a total shut down environment. It was so hot neither man nor nature would stir.

More of the same tomorrow. I fear, more of the same and worse for the rest of my life.

tag: , ,

No comments: