Thursday, July 13, 2017

Cult of Personality

Mussolini's Fascist Party Headquarters featured the big, glowering face of Il Duce.
They are not a majority, yet, but a substantial minority of the US population are enthralled in the Cult of Trump. They are bewildering to those of us retaining our sanity.

They bleat out whatever talking point is presented to them by Trump as if it were their own thoughts. For months they chanted "fake news" at any evidence of Trump collusion with Russia yet when presented with Junior's admission of collusion they immediately switch to a "nothing burger" mantra where everybody colludes and collusion with a longtime enemy is a good thing.

Anyone who has read George Orwell's 1984 will recognize the radical yet immediate and seamless shift in mobthought. It is impossible for those of us practiced in critical thinking to imagine how a human brain could operate like that. Don't they remember what they believed last week?

This is a phenomenon I've never seen before in the United States. I see it but I do not understand it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would it be OK if I cross-posted this articl6e to WriterBeat.com? There is no fee; I'm simply trying to add more content diversity for our community and I enjoyed reading your work. I'll be sure to give you complete credit as the author. If "OK" please let me know via email.

Autumn
AutumnCote@WriterBeat.com